[RE-wrenches] Efficient water softener?

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Fri Feb 27 00:20:41 PST 2009

David, Kurt, et al,

If I am understanding your question correctly, the Kinetico brand of _non-electric_water softener would fit the bill precisely. It is my understanding that the entire (extensive) line of Kinetico products are dual _resin_ tank machines. The huge benefit to this dual resin tank design is that the control head (as well as the resin) sees only softened water unlike a single resin tank machine in which the control head never sees anything but the untreated water you are trying to correct. So while you pay more for the dual resin tank design it lasts way longer and the life cycle cost is less. Plus, in the words of the currently fashionable ads, the benefit from the reduced maintenance (by you or others) "priceless".

My compliments to solve a water quality problem. Tremendous benefits for every other water using appliance, valve, and faucet in the dwelling. You might consider putting the softener on the hot water only (as scale is formed in direct proportion to the amount the water is heated- compare the hot and cold pipes when you are doing repair work to convince yourself of this) and naturally lower the temperature of the hot water source to _only_ using temperature to save even more. Most people, myself included, can then turn on only the hot water faucet to bathe. What is the purpose of heating the water (with a fossil fuel) at the tank/tankless/boiler only to add cold water to cool it down at the other end?

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar