[RE-wrenches] Magnum MS4448AE Compatibility Question

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Wed Feb 11 06:52:10 PST 2009

I installed an off-grid system with identical symptoms:

OB VFX 3648 dual stack
Buderus GB142-24
Kohler 12 kW propane genny

The boiler runs fine on the inverter power, but will occasionally error
out (6A) and shut down while the generator is running (usually after it
has been on for hours).  The plumber installed an APC uninterruptable
power supply/surge suppressor (not sure of the model) before the boiler,
but when running on the internal inverter, the symptoms seemed to get
worse.  When running on just the surge suppressor portion, the symptoms
were the same as if the APC wasn't in-line.  We've checked the grounding
at the genny, made sure the neutral was isolated except for the main
panel, still the same problem.  Seems this is a Buderus issue (or at least
not an inverter one) - see:

http://www.buderus.net/Support/TechnicalInfoForums/tabid/132/forumid/15/threadid/4334/scope/posts/Default.aspx

I haven't been able to make the boiler run reliably when the genny is on,
which is a problem in our climate, when the client goes away in the
winter...

Howie
--
Howie Michaelson
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Sun Catcher, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
VT Solar & Wind Incentive Program Partner
http://www.SunCatcherVT.com
(cell) 802-272-0004
(home) 802-439-6096