[RE-wrenches] Enphase Micro Inverter Energy System

Kelly Keilwitz, Whidbey Sun & Wind kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Fri Feb 6 23:47:30 PST 2009

Hi Max,
We¹ve done one, have one in the shop ready to go, and another on contract.
Great solution for future expansion and clean installation. All mods are in
parallel, but installation (with adapter cord) is end to end. No main
inverter, no DC disconnect, no service or ³grouped² AC disconnect required.
It¹s just one (or more) branch circuit to a 15A DP breaker. We¹ve estimated
that for systems <2.5 kW it¹s more cost effective, than using a string
inverter. That¹s with no shading. If you have partial shading or different
orientations the cost-effectiveness improves dramatically for larger
systems.

Our inspectors want a partial-cover array inspection (to check inverter
listing and mounting), which is a bit of a hassle to arrange. Hopefully that
will ease up once they see a few installs.

Enphase gets the customer with the web-based, subscription, system
monitoring. For small systems the production will barely cover the base cost
+ annual fee (free for the first year).

-Kelly
Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.
Whidbey Sun & Wind, LLC