[RE-wrenches] Professional conduct

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Thu Feb 5 00:24:27 PST 2009

Colleagues:

Of course, this dilemma has probably existed since the Romans bid on the
first chariot.  You need to present a design to the client to prove you
have a plan in order to sell the job, but you can not prevent the client
from using your design to shop contractors.  There is not a lot you can do
about this.  I let these clients go without much regret.  If the client
does not understand the ethics involved, or is not ethical, I'd just as
soon not work for them.

It is a fine line on what documentation you present to the client.  We try
to be generic during bidding and vert specific during contracting.  Once
the client is ready to sign a contract, we want it made clear exactly where
the modules will be installed and specify any exclusions.

This discussion got me thinking about the cast iron pipe top-of-pole mount
problem discussed here recently.  Someone suggested smashing the customer's
pipe and someone else wanted to tell the customer off.  I don't believe
either idea is productive or professional.  My approach in similar
situations is to remain calm, present the dilemma and supporting
documentation in writing and let the customer decide:  Does he want the job
done properly with your services or improperly without your services.  I
have observed a few structural engineers and other professionals that
exhibit a very professional demeanor and I have used them as role
models.  These are the men/women that earn good money and are above
reproach.  This is the reputation I want to cultivate.

Respectfully,

William Miller