[RE-wrenches] GPS units

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Tue Jan 27 22:53:17 PST 2009

I used to have a WW II aircraft altimeter (out of an Aircobra) installed
in a Diesel LandRover when I first started pump work years ago. The
instrument took all the guesswork out of sizing pumps, and let me know
when the naturally aspirated Diesel was going to be making more smoke
than horsepower. An altimeter needs to be set every time you head out,
but they are accurate to within a few feet. Over the years, I have used
GPS, shot in elevations with transit and rod, used fine elevation topos
and guessed. :-) I agree that the only really accurate method, if
available, is to use a pressure gauge on existing plumbing, but an
altimeter is a close second and a GPS third.

Matt T