[RE-wrenches] Galvanic compatibility of commonly used solar materials

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Mon Jan 26 16:00:39 PST 2009

Hi Wrenches,

I'm wondering what types of experiences you folks have with galvanic
corrosion. As we all know, racking and ground systems commonly use copper,
aluminum, steel, etc. which may or may not be compatible with each other.
There's the theory: http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm
and then there's real life experience.

I have first hand experience with aluminum lay in lugs used to bond modules
corroding and turning to powder. We all know to use tin coated copper lugs
for module and racking grounding. However, I see bare copper ground wires
run over all sorts of different metals and I wonder what issues might pop up
in the long haul.

How well does bare copper hold up when it is touching anodized aluminum?
What about copper and hot dipped strut? How do you run bare ground wire when
you're connecting multiple arrays separated from each other? Has anyone seen
issues arising between steel and aluminum racking parts?

I'm looking forward to seeing what types of field experiences you have seen.

Best,

August

August Goers

Luminalt Energy Corporation