[RE-wrenches] helical screw piers

Larry Brown sunmountain at netstep.net
Sun Jan 25 17:57:40 PST 2009

Eric,

We just used helical screw piers on a 5.6kw ground mount
The site was difficult due to its slope and soft because the frost
had come back out after some warm days
There was an excellent chance that a concrete truck would have gotten
stuck and a back hoe would have made a mess
The 4 wheel drive unit that drives the helical screw piers had no
trouble navigating the terrain, did no damage to the site, was in and
out in less than a day.
The piers were in two parallel  rows and all were within 1/2" of our
string, though that is in the skill of the operator
In very rocky soil it might be more problematic

Larry Brown
Sun Mountain