[RE-wrenches] BOSCH

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Fri Jan 23 16:55:40 PST 2009

Dana,

I own the Bosch D-tect 100.

I bought it from Lawson HIS LTD in England.

I bought it for a job with a flat built up roof, no access to the attic to
spot the rafters.  It didn't work quite as well as I hoped because it
detected the various nails used to hold down the varoius built up layers.
However, I was able to locate the rafters using many passes and building up
a sort of a SETI project picture of the locations.

I have used it on other jobs as well. I really loved it on an exposed
sheeting job for a new roof.  The nailing was way off and it was very
accurate and fast finding the actual centerline.

As far as metal roof, I would say no. I was recently stimeded on a simple
comp shingle job because the sheeting had the foil radiant barrier on the
back side, total blank.

It doesn't do everything, but when it's good, it's good. When it's bad it's
sad because you know how much time it can save when it works.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way
Nevada City,  CA 95959