[RE-wrenches] Wildlife issues with ground mounts

Ron Young solareagle at solareagle.com
Fri Jan 9 00:12:45 PST 2009

I install almost exclusively pole mount systems and because wildlife
(deer, bear, moose) and livestock (cows, sheep, goats, horses) are
common influences the bottom edge of the array is usually above 6'.
This makes for some pretty high poles on larger arrays. I strongly
discourage ground mounts in my area. Roof mounts, because of snow,
are also a bad idea for most applications in my part of the world.
Last winter I had to replace a combiner box that got ripped off a
pole mount by a horse running in a most unexpected location. It
ripped a j-box off the back of one of the modules along with it.
Luckily for the owner it was fixable and the panel didn't have to be
replaced.

Ron Young
earthRight Solar - Solareagle