[RE-wrenches] fire safety vs. fire hysteria?

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 11:25:52 PST 2009

William and all,

I notified a friend of mine in the fire service about this, and he has
followed up with the website to have the article removed. Here is the thread
with me and the website:

Note to me:

This article is exactly the same as one I received from a young firefighter
from Orange County, CA a few months ago.  I made numerous comments on it,
and sent him our video.  Curiously, I just emailed him yesterday inquiring
as to the status of his interest in publishing an
article, and heard back that he had not taken any action on it.   It
appears the original "Author" got this posted.  I will attempt to have this
article removed from this site, for correction.

FE Matthew Paiss, T13B
San Jose Fire Department
San Jose, CA

Note from Matt to website administrator:

Billy,

By way of introduction, my name is Matt Paiss.  I am a Fire Engineer for the
San Jose Fire Department.  Additionally, I am a subject matter expert in the
area of Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Firefighter Safety, have a degree in Solar
Technology, and  am a member of the State Fire Marshals Office PV Task Force
which is tasked with creating guidelines for the safe installation of said
systems.  I also teach classes on PV Safety for Firefighters.

I was sent this article (below) to review a few months ago.
http://firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?77468

It is riddled with incorrect statements and does a disservice to the fire
service in the fact that it presents us as ignorant to the science and
realities of Solar Photovoltaic systems.  I sent the "Author" a redlined
commentary and suggested that he take some time to gather factual background
info prior to attempting to publish.

My request is that you remove it, and refer the author to me to help correct
his info.  I believe that there is information that FF's need to know about
these systems, but this is NOT it.  Let's get it right.

Best Regards,

FE Matthew Paiss, T13B
San Jose Fire Department
San Jose, CA

Note from administrator to Matt:

Thanks Matt! Please send me what should be posted and we will not only
remove it-but will also send it out on The Secret List with your name and
any other affiliate org that can substantiate the facts. A simple (FF
readable-you know what I mean) document would be great.
Thanks!
Billy

Final message from Matt to administrator:

Will do Chief!
As the info is incorrect in so many areas, would you please consider
removing it now?  It does reflect poorly on both firefighterclosecalls.com
AND the fire service in general.  I was actually sent the link by a friend
who works for the DOE, and asked if I could help.  I will get you a more
accurate article within a week, if you could grant me that time.  I promise
it will be FF-friendly!!  I am preparing for 3 classes and am a bit swamped.

FE Matthew Paiss, T13B
San Jose Fire Department
San Jose, CA