[RE-wrenches] low voltage disconnect

Solar Plexus solplex at montana.com
Sun Dec 20 15:22:59 PST 2009

Wrenches.

	I have a customer with a stand-alone system with an XW inverter, XW
controller,  pole mounted array of four 235-watt panels, and 4 of the
8D gel batteries.   He uses the system mostly on weekends.
	Winter came, the solar array  was still set at about 30°,  a
snowstorm covered  the panels while no one was there, and 4 days
later the battery voltage was 6.
The week-end use had been substantial, so I assume the batteries were
low prior to the snowstorm.  With no solar coming in, and loads still
on, the battery voltage presumably went to Low Battery Cut Out
voltage of 44 before the inverter disconnected  the AC loads.  With
the AC loads disconnected, and no DC loads in the system, what caused
the battery voltage to go to 6?
	 I assume the XW controller used 2.5 watts continuous or 60 watt-hrs
per day as battery voltage went from  44 volts to 10 volts when the
controller would have shut off completely.  What happens with the
inverter when the battery goes below 44 volts?   Does the inverter
shut off and there is no more draw on the batteries, or does the
inverter continue to draw the no-load draw of 28 watts, or does the
inverter draw the search-load draw of 8 watts?  At what voltage does
the inverter stop drawing power?
	At 44 volts, the battery is presumed to be pretty dead. How many amp-
hours are available in a 100 amp-hour 48v battery  (4 12-v batteries
in series) while drawing the voltage from  44 volts and 6 volts?  Is
there anything there or will the voltage just drop from 44 to 6 with
very little power draw?
	The Low Voltage Disconnect is set for 44 volts,  but if the inverter
itself does not shut off, then the practical low voltage becomes the
voltage the inverter stops working at.  To protect the batteries, is
there any advantage to limiting the low voltage to 44 volts as
opposed to 6 volts.  If so, is there some way to have the inverter
shut itself off at  low voltage?

We have had this same thing happen with an Outback inverter, again
taking the batteries to near zero.  Is there any way that either the
Outback or Sunny Island would operate differently than described above?

Looking forward to  any comments on these issues.

Thank you.

Lee  Tavenner
Solar Plexus