[RE-wrenches] Off-Grid Sizing Case

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Thu Dec 3 09:22:48 PST 2009

Folks,

I have a customer with a 3 year old system  in northern CA:

8 - Deka 370AH, 6V, 2x4 banks - 740Ah @ 24V
2 - DR2424 120/240V series
4 - EC-120-GL
1 - C40 CC
1 - 5000W, old portable gas gen

The problem is increased gen runtime probally due to chronic undercharging.

Based on estimated consumption in the home, I think he needs about 2X the PV
to meet the energy production needs in the summer (5 kWH/day)(30% DOD/day).
But in order to get C10 charging during the summer he would need 5X the PV?

Money is and issue. So what should I recommend:

1 - Increase PV 4X to 5X, add MPPT controller to get to a PV based system
with gen support
2 - Get a 3K to 5K propane gen and and run as a gen based system with PV
support
3 -?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems