[RE-wrenches] down-sizing main breaker

Mendocino Solar Service msolar at mcn.org
Fri Jul 31 09:56:48 PDT 2009

Hi Folks,

Can anyone provide code reference or advice on this question?
Our customer has 100 amp service at the meter pedestal, 100 amp main
breaker feeding 200 foot underground run to a 100 amp panel at the
house. We need to land a 40 amp breaker, so are proposing to replace
main panel at house with 200 amp panel. The AHJ says we need a 200
amp main breaker in this panel, which will work, but says this
requires upsizing the feeder, main breaker at meter, and therefore
utility service to 200 amps.

I've read on this list and elsewhere about downsizing the main
breaker in a panel to create capacity to make the 120% rule. This AHJ
says you can't put in a breaker smaller than the panel size, and
furthermore, everything upstream would have to be upsized. Is this
from the code?

Bruce Erickson
Mendocino Solar Service
PO Box 1252