[RE-wrenches] FW: Utility-owned PV systems on roofs

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Jul 29 13:40:05 PDT 2009

Wrenches,

Below is an excerpt of an announcement about New Mexico's largest IOU
developing a utility-owned PV roofs program. They will contract the
installations but own the systems. The details aren't yet out; the
announcement is about an upcoming meeting to gather feedback.

I can't help but smell a rat. I want to be prepared to challenge the plan if
appropriate. It seems to me that a regulated monopoly with a guaranteed rate
of return and deep pockets should not own PV systems on customers' roofs,
and shouldn't be competing with the private sector to offer systems.

I remember that some years back this came up in California and CalSEIA
successfully fought it. I also recall that SMUD originated this approach and
got out of it as a failed experiment, but I don't know the whole story.

I'm writing to request links, archives, strategies, and experiences from
similar battles (or not) elsewhere on this issue. I would like to be well
prepared if we are to fight this.

Thank you.

Allan Sindelar

Allan at positiveenergysolar.com

NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer

EE98J Journeyman Electrician

Positive Energy, Inc.

3201 Calle Marie

Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507

505 424-1112

www.positiveenergysolar.com

  _____

Subject: PNM Solar PV Workshop

As part of the PNM renewable energy strategy, we would like your feedback on
an innovative program we are developing that would place utility-owned solar
PV systems on customer roof tops or customer land.  Because of your
experience installing solar PV systems, we value your input and would like
for you to join us in this interactive workshop on Wednesday August 5, 2009

In this workshop, we will share our plans for this program and get your
ideas.  Here are some program highlights so far:

*         4 MW of installed solar capacity (turnkey installation by PV
system integrator or PV contractor to be determined)

*         Solar PV systems ranging in size from 2kW to 250kW on customer
rooftops and customer land

*         Awarded in blocks (to be determined): EXAMPLES ONLY

        50 residential systems of 2kW totaling 100 kW
        10 systems of 100 kW totaling 1MW
        4 systems of 250 kW totaling 1MW

The objectives of the workshop are:

*         To select optimal block award

*         To brainstorm optimal size of residential and commercial PV system

*         To explore program design