[RE-wrenches] large module orders - COD??

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Mon Jul 6 06:57:20 PDT 2009

Most of our projects do not require ordering and stocking large quantities of solar modules, so we usually order in one pallet at a time quantities since most of our installs are in the 4 to 6 kW size range.    However, we have a firm purchase order for over $100,000 worth of Solar World 175 modules, but the client will not pay anything until the modules have been shipped and received in good condition.  I have been able to get their agreement to pay COD, but have not found any supplier who handles Solar World 175's and is willing to fill this large order without payment in full at time of shipment.

If we cannot make this work, I will be forced to go back through the process of getting another module approved for this installation and find a supplier willing to make this work using a different module brand, but I hate to go through all this after getting the SolarWorld 175's approvied by both the architect and client.  They are ready to purchase these today.

How do you handle these larger special orders without having to have a $100,000 line of credit with each material supplier?

Thanks,

Jeff Yago