[RE-wrenches] SQ Flex question re Code compliance

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Sat Jun 27 14:54:10 PDT 2009

Wrenches,

For a community water supply, I will be installing two identical SQ Flex
systems, each with CU200 interface and IO101 for generator AC backup
capability, with 4 Sanyos on a pole-top rack. Because these are community
rather than private, I want to pull a permit.

I have done a number of SQ Flex installations, but never inspected. In fact,
conventional wells are never electrically permitted here (and it shows). I
know that the Grundfos equipment is not Listed, and I expect to argue that
nothing else for this application is either. But I'm open to tips on how to
do the best Code-approximating installation, using "common sense"
approaches.

Should I add an HU361RB to each, should I add an IO100 to function as a
disconnect, or can I rely on the IO100 switch to also serve as array
disconnect?

I'll ground properly, use Grundfos' surge arrestors, and ground to a rod and
also to the array poles as supplemental grounds.

I'll use NM Flex between boxes, and transition from the sub cable to THWN at
the well head.

I'll also have a P2Flow pressure transducer system with its own independent
12V power supply on each pump system, for distant full-tank shutoff.

Other suggestions, please, specific to Code compliance?

Allan Sindelar

Allan at positiveenergysolar.com

NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer

EE98J Journeyman Electrician