[RE-wrenches] stacking grid tied Outback

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Thu Jun 25 13:57:07 PDT 2009

Got a call to check out an existing, but distant system that a  elderly couple spent over $200K for a pv/battery/wind system and system never worked right.  Local electrician called to advise many design and wiring problems and suspects orignial installer had no clue.

I have not seen the system yet, but was told he has ten (10) Outback inverters, 2 configured for sell back and 8 not.  He said they called Outback and received 2 differnet recommendations concerning conversion of remaining 8 inverters to grid tie.  Was told they could be factory re-configured to all sell back, but can only stack two inverters in sell mode.

If true, why can't you just parallel multiple stacks of dual inverters and just feed each pair to their own circuit breaker in the main panel?  We parallel Fronius inverters all the time with no problem as long as wire runs are short.

Bottom line - note sure what we will suggest until I check it out tomorrow, but wanted to be able to advise which answer they received from Outback was correct.

Thanks,

Jeff Yago