[RE-wrenches] module frame separation

William Korthof wkorthof at eesolar.com
Wed Jun 24 13:39:25 PDT 2009

Recently we've had a few modules (~5 year old) exhibit frame
separation from the glass...
in one case, it's minor separation of the long edge of frame on one or
both sides of a few modules... the frames seem okay and reasonably
secure when attached on the roof, but were loose during handling.
In another case, the customer is located in snow-impacted mountains.
Apparently, a sheet of icy snow pulled the bottom (short) edge of the
frame apart from the glass and side frame pieces. No damage to the
glass, but the lower edges of 6+ frames are now dangling by a thread.

I don't think the module warranties cover this problem---the power
output remains within spec and there is no evident damage to the
glass. But if we don't provide some sort of repair, the modules will
break.

Any suggestions for this kind of repair?
What kind of glue would we use to reattach the glass to the aluminum
frames?

Thanks,
William Korthof
Energy Efficiency Solar