[RE-wrenches] AC coupling-mix and match

I2P at aol.com I2P at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 12:56:34 PDT 2009

Wrenches,

I have been doing some experimenting --testing compatibility between brands
of grid tie inverters and sign wave battery type inverters. I am hoping some
of  you also have  some experience here and we can compare results.

My interest is fueled by my belief that AC coupling is the ideal way to
increase system capacity  for battery based off grid systems. The primary  benefit
is higher system efficiency for AC loads used during the day. I realize  that
power management becomes important but my interest right now is just to  find
out who talks to who. My ultimate "power management" tool will be an
electric vehicle. Charging it will undoubtedly suck up available juice.

So far:

SMA synchronizes to Xantrex SW (have not tested the XW yet) and Outback and
of course the SMA Sunny Island

Xantrex GT also syncs to the SW

I started this project with Enphase as my first choice since their system  is
so scaleable. I have been unable to make Enphase sync. Marv at Enphase has
been very helpful but to date no results.  I have, at Marv's  suggestion ,used
capacitors to clean the somewhat hashy SW output without  results. Marv tells
me he is testing Enphase and Outback. Does anyone have  experience syncing
Enphase to other offgrid inverters?

Any experiences with Fronius and others.?

Though the SW output is not the cleanest, the results with SB and GT are
very stable. They hookup early AM and its steady green light all day long.
Though I use microwave, start induction motors etc, and my scope clearly shows
lots of spikes during these events, the GT and SB hang in.

What are the experiences from others regarding mix and match?.
Interoperability among brands seems to be a very desirable goal to this  wrench.

Don Loweburg
Offline Solar, Inc
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219858252x1201366219/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID