[RE-wrenches] grid tie sync with big stiff genny?

Geoff Greenfield geoff at third-sun.com
Wed Mar 11 07:35:28 PDT 2009

Undoubtably many of us are getting interesting project requests as folks want to sprinkle magic stimulus dust on things to make solar panels grow...

We have a project with a huge electrical load, pumping water for a medium sized city .  They want solar... great.  Easy.

They had a power outage and kept running with 2.6 MW of diesel generators.  They are interested in solar's ability to do "backup".  I don't think that many batteries will fit in my pickup truck, and I hate working with 300/0 wire.

QUESTION:  (and maybe its an easy one and the SMA guys will say, sure, we did that in Greece).  Is it viable to set up a micro-grid in this scenario and run an island-mode, with available solar reducing the genny plant demand?  Should I just say "forget it" or, at this MW scale, would the switchgear and effort be practical?

Thanks.

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
President