[RE-wrenches] PV glass cracks along string foil?

Geoff Greenfield geoff at third-sun.com
Wed Mar 11 07:27:32 PDT 2009

Greetings list brethren (and sister-en?)

Here is a mystery:  We had a Schott ASE-300 fail after a few months in the sun - glass shattered - no meteor fragments or slingshots or other obvious clues.

Only the front glass shattered, and here is the interesting part - the glass breakage  is clearly patterned along the paths of all the foil tape on the rear of the panel that makes the "home runs" from the cell strings to the J-box.  there is even, visible from the rearm a spot where the foil tape appears to have melted through the tedlar tape.

Has anyone heard of this mode of failure?  We just got the panel and I havn't put the fluke on it... any specific tests to look for.

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
President
Third Sun Solar & Wind Power Ltd.