[RE-wrenches] AC disconnect options (Andrew Truitt)

William Korthof wkorthof at eesolar.com
Wed Mar 4 12:49:59 PST 2009

>   1. AC disconnect options (Andrew Truitt)

We used to use a lot of those pull-out air conditioner disconnects, we
liked the low price.

The 60 amp version usually works fine for 15 amps or less, but I
really don't think it's
reliable at anything close to the 60 amp rating. We've had about a
dozen of them burn up
and fail open in the field. Probably due to a bad or weak connection
in the pull-out, or
could be just corrosion. In any case, we've never had those kinds of
failures with the
Square D DU221 or DU222 products.

For a while, some jurisdictions weren't allowing the pull-outs for the
solar AC disco, so
based on the failure rates and AHJ issues, we pretty much stopped
using them.

/wk