[RE-wrenches] Is a Smart Phone a Useful Tool in PV?

Cvsolar2 at aol.com Cvsolar2 at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 11:14:58 PST 2009

Hey Everybody;
       I'm trying to justify switching to smart phone technology. (BlackBerry
Curve.) My Immediate supervisor just gets this "I don't know Dan" look on her
face. Others question the need for that level of communication in the field.
Good point. But I can kinda rationalize the argument both ways. What can I
reasonably expect to get out of this thing for the $$? (that I can't do with a
phone). Is there a "killer app"? The GPS stuff looks cool. The calendar --
maybe. A contact manager? I pretty much work out of a Hand book/scheduler now. and
doing OK with it. (Whole lot easier to make corrections with an eraser --
shoot, I can hardly even see that little key pad -- Yes, I should get new glasses)
I can see where the ability to exchange files could be helpful.
I guess I'm just a bit gun shy maybe. I remember "Back in the day," when
personal computers were making their grand debut, I was seeing so much "stuff"
coming and going (Remember FORTRAN, COBOL and BASIC? or the 6502?) So I decided
to study Assembly, but looking back, even that degree was pretty much obsolete
the day I stepped off the stage. Let's just say I'm a bit apprehensive.

Anyway,  I thought this might be a good forum to turn to for insight. thanks
db

Dan Brown
President
Foxfire Energy Corp.
Renewable Energy Systems
(802)-483-2564
www.Foxfire-Energy.com
NABCEP #092907-44

You're invited to Hollywood's biggest party:
Get Oscars updates, red carpet pics and more at Moviefone.
(http://movies.aol.com/oscars-academy-awards?ncid=emlcntusmovi00000001)