[RE-wrenches] HELP! prevailing wage classification?

Geoff Greenfield geoff at third-sun.com
Thu Feb 12 07:06:55 PST 2009

Greetings fellow wrenches!

I am certain (and hopeful) that some of you folks have already been down this road, and can share some advice (and hopefully documents or references) regarding this issue.  I have no problem with unions, (They "brought us the weekend", have done a lot to remedy exploitation and unsafe conditions etc), but we are an "open shop" in a small family owned company where we have great relations with our well paid employees.

Our meager grant program slipped some fine print into the documents implying that any projects receiving funding (even residential!?) are subject to prevailing wages etc.  It seems that politics and influence has been working behind the scenes, and now we need to figure out how to react.

We have done plenty of public work and regularly are on PW jobs... Our inquiry into "what class is solar" led to the response (that we unfortunately dont have in writing) to use the classification closest to the task and pay at that level.  We often use labor rates for staging and mechanical assembly, electrical rates for wiring and steel erector rates for wind towers etc...  It was explained to me that "a Rigger would deliver, set and install a big air handler and an electrician would wire it up".

SO - the "HELP" part-

can any of you point me toward a ruling or interpretation that helps us defend our practice, or give guidance on the subject?

Thanks in advance!  Lets keep solar affordable and keep small shop wrenches on the rooftops!

For a brighter energy future,

Geoff Greenfield
Founder and President
Third Sun Solar & Wind Power Ltd.