[RE-wrenches] Remote smoke detector

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Tue Jan 27 13:16:16 PST 2009

Friends:

I have many clients with remote power houses.  One in particular has a
conduit between the power house and his residence with two spare 16 AWG
conductors.  My brainstorm is to install a garden variety residential smoke
detector in his power house and a second one in his residence,
interconnected with the two spare conductors.  The hope is: an alarm in the
power house will trigger an alert on the smoke detector in the residence.

This is slightly at variance with the wiring diagram that accompanies the
smoke detectors.  I am about ready to prototype this in my shop, but I
thought I'd ask if anyone else has done this?  It seems like a great idea...

Thanks in advance.

William Miller