[RE-wrenches] Sealing roof attachments...

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 23 08:40:47 PST 2009

Wrenches
I know this issue has been pretty well hashed over on this site but I see a trend that I'm not sure how to relate to. The number of roof mounted PV structure mfgrs is on the rise and many are migrating to the US market from elsewhere.
The trend now seems to be to drill thru the 3-tab shingles, tiles etc and into a rafter. Then drive home a threaded lag bolt with a patch of sealant on the exposed surface and covered by a large flat metal washer. Of course most all the mfgrs will offer an optional flashed version of attachment.
So has the technology of sealants improved to a point that only a dollop is needed or is this just an adaptation of a European product coming here with hopes that it will work in this market as well as it does there.
And how much of new products is simply cutting costs by reducing the amount of materials needed.

Thanks as always
Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
817.917.0527