[RE-wrenches] mate issues AND MORE ISSUES

Nick Lucchese nickl at sierrasolar.com
Fri Jan 9 11:32:47 PST 2009

Wrenches,

I know I'm a little late with my post here as I've fallen a couple
weeks behind on reading my Wrenches. Sorry to hear that so many of
you are frustrated with Outback but I just wanted to speak up for the
other side. Ninety five percent of my installation work these days is
off grid and nearly 95% of those are Outback components exclusively.
While I do run into minor glitches here and there Outback is always
there to expedite a set of boards or send out an upgraded Mate to
work with the new Flexnet. I'll admit that sometimes the combinations
of error codes are not intuitive but they are consistent and
predictable and therefore easy to diagnose just as long as your
customer can navigate the menus and communicate with you. Also, in
the few times I've been out of the area and my customer's called
Outback for things that could have been found in the manual my
customers have voiced that Outback's technicians were very helpful
and patient with them. Out of the last five Flexnets I've set up all
have been consistent and appear to be working flawlessly. Only three
of them are set up for auto gen start at this time and I'm still
using the Aux and AGS function through the inverter and not the
Flexnet. I also just program the AGS through volt start  and not SOC
with the integrated Flexnet relay. However the Flexnet relay controls
my home's water pump without issues.

I know that those of you who are frustrated with their gen start
issues are experienced technicians and I'm certainly not saying you
shouldn't voice your dissatisfaction. I just want to speak up that if
it were not for the reliability and predictability of Outback
hardware I would have far less time on my hands. Hopefully they'll
make things right for you and convince you that they are the best
long term solution for off grid systems. Personally I cannot imagine
making a transition to any other manufacturer.

My 2 volts,

Nick A Lucchese

PS. I don't like that I can't find much programming information for
the GT models. The new manuals are great but certain information from
the old documentation still needs to be carried over.

--
Nick A Lucchese
NABCEP Certified PV Installer