[RE-wrenches] Wind Loads by state

roger dixon roger.dixon at att.net
Thu Dec 18 09:19:02 PST 2008

As it says on the web page, “WindSpeedByZip is a tool for Architects,
Engineers and Builders to easily determine the 3-second gust basic
windspeed* for any location in the continental United States.”  I typed in
my own address and was informed it “is located within the 90 mph contour.
Use 90 mph*.”  If I had that wind speed I wouldn’t live here!  This is only
for architectural/structural maximum 3 second wind bursts for the survival
of structures.  Please, DO NOT use it to assess your average annual wind
speed for a wind turbine installation.

WindSpeedByZip is a 3Tier/Firstlook program.  They also have a useful
website for data related to wind turbine projects.  Someone else posted the
link, but I will do it as well, http://firstlook.3tiergroup.com/.  You will
need to register (it is free), then type in a lat and long or an address,
select a hub height (20,50 or 80 meters) and you will get usable info for a
wind turbine installation.

Roger Dixon

Certified Wind Site Assessor

Skylands Renewable Energy, LLC