[RE-wrenches] Fuse Sizing

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Sat Dec 6 16:26:16 PST 2008

Hello William,
Your voltage drop calculator matches this one for DC, but not for AC and
3 phase
http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm
Check his source code and notice that he just uses a look up table.

You might add a note to the sheet.

I updated the spreadsheet http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/GO/deant/EnergyCalc.xls
It is corrected for atmospheric thickness in easterly and westerly
orientations.
I added a tracker button, it overestimates tracking about 20% so don't
rely on that for now.

cul deant

William Miller wrote:
> Jason:
>
> Close, but I think you have multiplied by one too many Isc.  For an
> excellent description of the process, see the white paper by Berdner,
> now on our web site at:  http://mpandc.com/resources/resources.html.
> Remember, you need to be able to put your hands on a no-back-feed
> certification if asked.
>
> Wm Miller
>

> 12:22 PM 11/20/2008, you wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> My understanding on fuse sizing, when needed or to determine if they
>> are needed, is to take the ISC of the module and multiply it by
>> quantity of strings minus 1 and then multiply by 1.25 and multiply
>> again by the ISC to give the amps of the system and if you go over
>> the module fuse rating you need to fuse all strings.
>>
>> I have had tow conflicting views today on this so I'd love any feed
>> back asap.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Jason Lombard CSBA