[RE-wrenches] Retail sales and other issues

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 3 06:41:32 PST 2008

Thanks for staying on top of this Jeff
    Here are the other questions ...

  1.  Do you have some type of retail store or public display area in addition to your installation work?
  No, from home. But we're about to build a new rural house with a separate dedicated building to lease to NTREI.

  2.  If so, do you offer "parts" like inverters, charge controllers, or hard-to-find solar hardware, or only sell turn key systems?
  Only  design & install PV. Occasionaly make sales to diy's & businesses.

  3.  Do you purchase factory direct for most items or from one of the main whole-sellers?
  Buy 90% from established distributors, DC Power, AEE, Sunwize but sometimes Kyocera.

  4.  If you also sell retail "parts" or other over the counter solar items, what percent mark-up do you try for, or do you just sell at manufacturer's suggested retail price?
  n/a

  5.  Do you have a web site that includes a "basket" for selling these solar items, or do you have a web site that lists complete systems with pricing, or just an informational web site?
  no
  6.  Have you sold enough systems of similar size to start offering "packaged" pricing for typical system sizes, or are you still quoting each specific job based on a job specific bill of material?
  The latter but I'm working to create packages

  7.  Do you warehouse larger quantities of modules and inverters, or order for each project with just a few items on hand?
  I order per job but keep some BOS items in stock, disconnects, wire, the usual fittings and hardware so we're not having to run to the elec supply house more than once

  8. Have you had problems with credit cards being back-charged or voided after shipment, and if you have, how did you reduce this problem?
  Don't yet have the volume to justify CCs

  9. Have you had modules or inverters damaged in shipment, and has this ever happened and not be discovered until after acceptance of delivery?
  Pallet of PV with forklift damage not discovered till after delivery. Inverters (2) with minor, field reparible problems, out of the box. Always received prompt service from PVP.

  10.  What advertising have you found to be the most cost effective?
  I have yet to find a good local source to advertise since there are no concentrated target markets. I use national magazines, HP etc.

  Thanks,  A summary of all replys will be added to the contract terms we are completing and distributed to all in a format you can cut and paste as needed.

    Jeff Yago,P.E., CEM
    NABCEP Certified
        DTI Solar
   email: jryago at netscape.com