[RE-wrenches] grid-tie inverters & generators

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 20:37:30 PST 2008

hI ALL
I have not done what you are talking about, but in different setting the inverter charger would "punch holes" in the sine wave as the generator ran and the inverter/charger or even a big battery charger ran.  By reducing the charging rate the size of the holes in the sine wave would diminish and the assocated problems would reduce.  The problems are due to a non sign wave caused by a non-linear charger characteristics, distorting the gen output.

Also I would be concerned with any transfer switch that does not watch for 1741.

I wish Chris from Outback would comment, as I have heard of new improvements that allow better gen and grid tie operation.
Darryl