[RE-wrenches] grid-tie inverters & generators

Kurt Albershardt info at es-ee.com
Thu Nov 20 19:10:41 PST 2008

> I'm hearing that it "should" be OK, but to CYA install a relay.

Yes, but...

The real answer is to find a genset and inverter which can peacefully coexist.  I don't know what sort of regulator topology is used by the gensets we have heard about, but that seems to be the key.  Many commercial/industrial gensets here in the US are built around the Marathon SE350 (or something very similar) - a tried and proven analog design - but one which was never designed to co-exist with parallel generation sources.  Might someone like DSE have a solution that would address this?

> generator and transfer switch 200 feet away from the inverter. Installing a relay on this one would mean 200 feet of conduit through driveway and landscaping. Or, maybe a wireless connection

Why not some kind of PLC-based control with a well-constructed failsafe scheme?

.