[RE-wrenches] utility EDS signage

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Wed Nov 19 23:24:59 PST 2008

Phil,

NEC 690.17 says "Where all terminals of the disconnecting means may be
energized..."  It would take a pretty rare malfunction of a grid
connected inverter to energize the load terminals of the utility
disconnect.  But we have some AHJs that require this label on every ac
disconnect, all the way back to the utility meter, anyway.  The warning
is appropriate on the dc disconnect of almost all inverters because the
capacitors in the inverter take a few minutes to bleed off.

To me, the bigger hassle are plaques required by 705.10.  Can anyone
give me a reasonable explanation for their value in a utility
interactive system? I can understand if there is a grid backup system -
emergency personnel may need to know where to turn off the backup power;
but a grid interactive inverter shuts down when there service is shut
down.  It seems to me that this plaque is likely to send an emergency
responder on a wild goose chase.

Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar