[RE-wrenches] battery box fan

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Nov 7 13:46:41 PST 2008

Larry,
Few relays are rated for 48V DC, as that DC voltage is high enough that
relay life is compromised by arcing of the contacts. However, the current of
the Power Vent is so tiny that this shouldn't be an issue. If you have an
old open-coil power relay with a 12V coil lying around the shop, use it.
Otherwise, an automotive relay is easy and cheap to use.

You may find it as easy to replace the 48V Power Vent with a 12V unit. There
the main issue is that the 12V and 24V Power Vents have a 2" diameter
exhaust vent, while the 48V is 3".

Allan at Positive Energy