[RE-wrenches] hydro coils

Ian Woofenden ian.woofenden at homepower.com
Thu Nov 6 08:00:54 PST 2008

We've been using a coil inside our wood stove for many years and it
works well. Our current one was an option with the stove. It's a
single 1-inch stainless loop, which we thermosyphon to our solar
tank, using potable water through the loop.

The only issue we have had is the interaction of the solar loop with
the wood stove loop. There are times when the solar pump pumps
through the wood stove loop. I have tried one check valve (swing-type
in horizontal section impeded thermosyphon), and have another to try.

 From a user's standpoint, I think that using a wood stove loop is a
useful complement to an SHW system, especially with our cloudy
winters and tall trees.

Ian

--
Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden at homepower.com>, Senior Editor, Home Power magazine