[RE-wrenches] Flat Panels

Max Balchowsky max at seesolar.com
Tue Nov 4 09:34:37 PST 2008

We've been using rain-ex on arrays since 1999. we've found it to work very well, most of that was on systems in the Coachella valley (Palm Springs Desert). We provided cleaning free for the first year (once every quarter) then a nominal fee annually. A rain-ex or turtle wax type product is a good investment....

Joel Davidson <joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net> wrote:  Dirt buildup along solar modules' bottom rail is a real problem in locations
that have a lot of airborne dust and dirt and do not get regular rainfall.
Los Angeles gets very little rain from April to November. This year I let
dirt build up on my old array from January until August. One group of
modules is at 10 degrees tilt. The other group is at 18 degrees tilt. Both
groups of modules had the same amount of bottom rail dirt buildup. There was
about 1 inch of sun-blocking dirt at the bottom rail, but not up to the cell
tabs, and then uniform dirt on the rest of the modules. See
http://www.solarsolar.com/ I sprayed the array with a very weak solution of
Turtle brand ZipWax car wash, wiped it with a sponge mop, and then rinsed
it. Total time spent cleaning the array was less than 10 minutes. Power
increased 10%. Next summer when I clean the array, I will just dry wipe the
dirt at the module bottom rail and report the difference.