[RE-wrenches] crystalline VS uni-solar

Jeff Lahl jefflahl at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 31 10:23:14 PDT 2008

In 2006, I managed a research project here in Hawaii sponsored by our local utility and the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) that did a  6-month side-by-side comparison of Uni-solar 64-watt modules and a leading single-crystal module.  Utilizing detailed system monitoring (Fat Spaniel), we found that the triple-junction Uni solar outperformed 7.6% during early morning low-light conditions, 10.3% under cloudy mid-day conditions and 7.2% during sunny mid-day conditions.  When it was predominantly cloudy most of the day, we saw the Unis producing 12% more across the whole day.Across the whole 6-month test period, we saw the Unis producing about 5% more overall, across all conditions.  For reference, this is a relatively cloudy site - typical of many places in Hawaii - it had a daily average of 4.2 peak hours during the 6-month test period.

Of course a characteristic of the Unisolar modules is that their output is considerably over spec. when out of the box and they then go through a burn-in period when light-soaking slowly reduces their output -supposedly down to a steady state output.  It was hard to get really specific information on this burn-in period from the manufacturer but we were told that most of the burn-in should happen over 100 hours of full sun.  To allow for this, we didn't start testing until 2 months after the installation was complete.  However, our data indicated that even after 8 months, the output per watt of sunlight was still slowly dropping (but still above the name-plate rating).  Obviously, some follow-up evaluation needs to be done now 2 years later.  The funding is gone but I plan to do it on a volunteer basis when time permits.

As someone else mentioned, output isn't the only bottom line, the extra real estate needed by the less efficient Unisolars need to be considered as well as the price per watt.  In my experience, it's pretty common to find single or poly modules that are more than 5% less per watt than the Unisolars.

Jeff Lahl
Project Director,
Solar Electric Light Fund (SELF)
155 Keonekai Rd