[RE-wrenches] crystalline VS uni-solar

ASAP POWER! 2 info at asappower.com
Fri Oct 31 09:01:37 PDT 2008

We have UniSolar on an East face and Kyocera on a West face.   UniSolar
outperforms Kyocera in my opinion, but we will stick to solid crystalline Si
for residential/commercial work for space efficiency and racking/mounting
ease.   Nothing scientific because it's not side-by-side, but the lower
energy early morning to mid-peak sun vs. afternoon peak to dusk contest is
about neck and neck.  16,625kwh (Uni-Solar) vs. 16,893 (Kyocera) this
morning on the monitor totals for both channels/systems.

Triple-junction thin-film is awesome compared to 1-j or 2-j thin-film, but
by mid-2009 the market will be full of 1-J thin-film offerings going into
2-J production.  Trying to catch up they are -- to Stan.  Sharp has some
interesting news about their exciting thin-film product for Europe this
morning, but we won't see that here in the US anytime soon apparently.

However, the problem for me with UniSolar is that all their claims would be
perfectly ok with me if their one dreamy promise of lower cost per watt also
came true.

PD
  _____