[RE-wrenches] Apricus SHW Charging

Kelly Keilwitz, Whidbey Sun & Wind kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Thu Oct 30 14:24:08 PDT 2008

Hi Carl,

We've installed Apricus systems for about 3 years. I expect that the 72.5
psi = 5 bars, is the recommended system TEST pressure, before charging. We
hold pressure on all our systems at 75 - 80 psi, before charging at 25 to 35
psi. We used to take the test pressure higher, before using pump units
(which Apricus relabeles and markets with their collectors) with pressure
gauges that aren't rated for it. If I recall correctly, the limit was just
about 5 bars....

-Kelly

On 10/29/08 8:20 PM, "Carl Adams" <swingjunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am reviewing the commissioning instructions for the Apricus solar
> DHW system.  I note that the specified charging pressure for the
> glycol loop is 72.5 psi per the manual.  This seems high compared to
> other systems I have experience with.  Can anyone comment on
> 1) The science behind the high system charging pressure and
> 2) an off the shelf pump you use to achieve these pressures
>
> With Regards
> Carl Adams
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
> NABCEP Certified Solar Thermal Installer
> SunRock Solar
> Cincinnati, Ohio
> www.sunrocksolar.com

Kelly Keilwitz, P.E.