[RE-wrenches] Personal project: roofing colors

Max Balchowsky max at seesolar.com
Wed Sep 24 13:30:27 PDT 2008

William, the 6 years I spent in  he Palm Springs area gave me a lot of exposure to what works and what doesn't as far as roofing material. The longest lasting and best insulators were standing seam metal and vinyl covered foam. A white rooffing material made an incredible difference in tempretures. A roof that was untouchable with gray crushed rock was very comfortable to the touch after being painted white.

William Miller <wrmiller at charter.net> wrote:  Friends:

I have an energy question on a personal project. We are adding two rooms
to our house and it is time to select roofing colors. Nothing will match
the weird comp shingles already on our roof, so we are going to not match
and re-roof the rest of the house later. In the meantime, I need to pick a
shingle color. How much difference does a lighter roof color make here in
our inland California (Mediterranean) climate? We get over 100F frequently
in the summer.

Thanks for your insight.

William Miller

List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org