[RE-wrenches] offgrid system question

Tom Elliot telliot at wagonmaker.com
Wed Aug 20 19:07:50 PDT 2008

I don't think either one of us is "striding away from this issue".  As Jeff
pointed out, and I haven't seen included very much in this discussion, it is
about far more than surge loads and surge responses, it is about time of
operation.  I don't care if it is a toaster or a whole-house AC or a window
unit the most important aspect, after determining if the inverter can even
handle the load, is how much time said unit will operate and if the system
is designed to even manage a unit (toaster or AC) for the normal operating
time without seriously degrading battery life and health.

Starting surges and instantaneous loads are important considerations but
operating hours are equally important for good system design.  I remember
years ago Richard Perez describing the AC unit they installed in the Home
Power offices and how important it was to know not only load but how long
the unit would operate in relation to system sizing.

And yes, I still think an AC of that size on a system of that size is nutty
from a practicality standpoint unless they want their generator to run most
of the time.  Well reasoned guidance is absolutely important, as you point
out, but the comments made were made about what was not being discussed in
this particular case, and I still believe Jeff is right to point that out.

T.