[RE-wrenches] offgrid system question

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Tue Aug 19 19:12:54 PDT 2008

We had this same issue with a single string of Rolls Series 5000s at
48 volt. A 3 Hp well pump would pull the voltage below 44 vdc and
shut off the inverters anytime the system was less than fully charged.
We see this in Electric vehicles as well. No matter the battery, AH,
state of charge, age, etc., if you pull enough amps out of it, its
voltage will be pulled temporarily below operating voltage.
On the Rolls system, we added another battery in series for a 54 volt
nominal  system. The Outbacks have enough range to accommodate this,
although equalization was a bit low (64 v). It definitely stayed
above 44 v after that, though.

Ray Walters