[RE-wrenches] offgrid system question

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 18:29:18 PDT 2008

Hi all
Don,t miss Phil's point, The batteries can be good, but be of low surge capacity..... AS phil pointed out, the AH capacity decreases with load, There is a seperate (I am sure related some how) set of unpublished battery surge capacity data, which is not spelled out in the AH capacity until you talk of the 5 min AH perhaps.  If he is surging at 104 Amp 240 volt and 80% eff( will bet eff is less) if this power is being supplied by 44 volts that is 710 DC Amps. The cranking amps are not usually given for solar system batteries.  If some of the math addicted people would do a regression on the numbers Phill gave us perhaps the surge capacity could be indicated.

Also thanks phill for pointing out thermal runaway potential of VRLA batteries.

Darryl