[RE-wrenches] [Fwd: Re: ice accumulation]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 07:33:25 PDT 2008

Hi BoB and others, One caution,  if the modules are wired in parallel you may have thermal runaway.  Thermal runaway is when one module takes more current or gets warmer, which makes it take more current, until it takes  all the current.  If the max current is more than one module can handle, it would fail.

I am in Minnesota, and icing is common.
As for the deicing, I have noticed when they start to melt, the ice slides down and covers the bottom of the module even thicker.  for these situations an unframed module would be nice.
Also I have noticed a portrait mode module is better than a landscape mode.  (again I believe this is due to the melting and refreezing on the frames.  I have not compared the Black frame and the clear frame.

In Icing conditions, perhaps all strings should be combined in the controlled space so that BoB's deicing can be string individualized.
Darryl