[RE-wrenches] [Fwd: Re: ice accumulation]

boB bob at midnitesolar.com
Fri Aug 15 23:12:30 PDT 2008

Well, I just applied 10 Amps into a  KC-125G, at 24.5 Volts, for
one hour...  The current ~started~ to rise at around 21 Volts.
The KC125G serial fuse rating is 12 Amps.

 This actually seems to make a great  245 Watt heater!

Ambient room temperature was 21 degrees C.  The panel was a nice and
evenly toasty 33 degrees C.  That's a 12 degree C  (21.6 degrees F)
temperature rise.

The front area of the Sanyo HIT-195 is only about 1.25 times more than the KC125G.
(1826.88 square inches for the HIT-195 and about 1456 sq. inches for the KC125G)

This means that 700 Watts into a HIT195 should be quite an improvement
over the 245 W into the KC125G and it might just melt some snow or
ice  ~IF~  there  happens to be enough energy stored (hopefully a generator)
at the site and if it's not TOO  cold.  The pictures of Ron's mountain
top site look like it could get REAL cold there.

I haven't tried driving a Sanyo HIT module like this before, but
assuming the I-V curves (when driving them this way) are similar
to a typical poly/mono crystalline module, that should work out
to be ~around~ a 27 degree C (48 F) rise.  This ~might~ (I don't know
what the snow and/or ice does to this figure now), melt snow down to
less than a zero degree F. environment (-10 C ?). Getting even closer to
the 15 Amps series fuse limit  would of course be better but run
the risk tripping the breaker.

I guess I'll just have to try this during the winter,  if global warming
can hold off just a wee bit longer here in the NW.

boB
K7IQ