[RE-wrenches] Dual Fronius problems

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Thu Aug 14 20:40:46 PDT 2008

Jeff,
This is a theoretical opinion, not grounded in direct experience ;^) :
The well pump may indeed be causing a voltage dip due to its starting surge
- wire to AC pumps has been historically sized to permit up to a 35% voltage
drop at the pump at startup. Due to tight IEEE929 restrictions, that's well
outside the acceptable voltage range for the inverter. But that would be
likely to cause only a 5-minute line disturbance shutdown of the inverters,
per UL1741.

Undersized wire is more likely to cause a voltage rise, not drop. This would
be a separate issue. The wire resistance would cause the inverter's own
output voltage to rise to match the grid voltage plus the effects of wire
resistance, causing a voltage rise close to the additional voltage source,
the inverters themselves. Your observation that each works well by itself
supports this theory. Check the AC voltage at the inverters and at the mains
panel to see if this might be the case. Note also that some utilities raise
line voltage during times of peak load, such as summer daytime air
conditioning. Notice when the shutdowns occur, and if the line voltage is
higer at these times.

Allan at PosE