[RE-wrenches] Large offgrid system

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 17:09:13 PDT 2008

Hi Jay
I have not had experience with the sunny boy island. but I have had with the Outback.

In my case I would go with outback. The capability of the FNDC would make my decision.   I have done a five inverter stand alone 6 yr ago (maybe seven), and it is still working fine.  Same batteries.  I also have a 12 inverter grid tied, so far not a problem.  The five inverter is a quad stack with one inverter added.  The 12 inverter is a large sheet of galvanized metal and inverters bolted to it.  This system is again starting it 6th year and still going strong.

I have used vented Outbacks and the 12 inverter The highest measured output 34,500 watts from a 40 kW peak array.  The array is summer peaking.

I like the outback because of the flexibility, DC circuits, DC hybrid capability, AC coupling and I hope to use the new FNDC to enhance battery management.  I am excited about the capability of the FNDC.

 Darryl