[RE-wrenches] Tax Deductible RE Donations (inspired by Inverter for Switch to GT)

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Wed Aug 6 20:49:53 PDT 2008

Most of that old equipment has reasonable resell value to the off
grid market. You are donating it in a way: many of the folks shopping
for used PV are living below the poverty level.
We resell this stuff often at close to our cost just to se it go to a
good home. We usually don't install this stuff though, unless it is
current technology and in excellent condition.
This is an interesting topic, we also just started figuring the
salvage value of our grid tie systems at $3/ watt (which is at least
what used modules sells for) It makes the system payback  much
better, and is very realistic. We figure the rest of the equipment at
zero for now.
PV modules are more like gold. I think their value will hold up very
well over the next decades.

Ray Walters

On Aug 6, 2008, at 9:22 PM, Joel Davidson wrote:

> Wrenches,
> Following on comments about switching to grid-tie (or any other
> changes), what do you do with modules, mounts, inverters, etc. that
> no longer serve your clients' needs? Do you or your clients
> contribute the unneeded or unwanted equipment to a charitable or
> non-profit organization that qualifies the donation for a tax
> deduction? What are your favorite charities and non-profit orgs
> (what churches, schools, etc.)?
> Joel Davidson

R. Walters
Solarray.com