[RE-wrenches] Tax Deductible RE Donations (inspired by Inverter for Switch to GT)

Walt Ratterman wratterman at sunenergypower.com
Wed Aug 6 20:48:39 PDT 2008

Hello all,

Good question Joel.  I work with an organization that specifically does
charitable renewable energy projects in the developing world.  (SunEnergy
Power Incorporated) and we discuss this situation frequently.  We LOVE to
get donated equipment that is in like-new shape, or that is new and for some
reason no longer wanted.  (i.e. manufacturers switching to a different model
or something like that.)

It becomes problematic to receive equipment that is used to the point where
it is beyond its useful life, but still operating, because we are completing
installations in areas that are so remote, the cost of repairs or even
trouble shooting is huge.  So this is one issue.

Another issue is that even though so many projects are similar, there are
often minor differences (just as in the commercial world here in the states)
to where a particular panel or inverter just wont work.

All that being said, keeping the above caveats in mind,  I know we would
always entertain donations of good equipment, and I would think most folks
doing the kind of work we do would also.

Hope that helps,

Walt Ratterman

SunEnergy Power International