350 feet to barn- grounding [RE-wrenches]

daryl_solar at yahoo.com daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 05:26:18 PDT 2008

Hi Steve
The code calls for two types of ground.  and equipment ground, which had some changes in 2005 requireing an equipment ground for any electrical equipment, equipment grounding conductor)  such as even remote buildings, and of course solar.  Sized by 250 and 690.45 (I think)  The 2008 code clairifies the need for a ground near the array, (grounding electrode system) The purpose is to reduce the electrical damage from induced sky voltage changes.  I have had success where I have added a good grounding electrode system to an array having repeted electrical damage.

The surge arrestor hopefully trims the module line to line, and line to ground voltage surges.  These surges are reduced by having a well grounded array (earth grounded).  The code allows this egc and ges to be one conductor, sized at the largest required size.

The running of the ground conductor in bare copper outside the conduit, is to help acheve a ground, but caution many soils have poor conductivity near the surface, and I recomend two ground elements and use a ground tester to determine the ground resistance.

Hope this is helpful.
Darryl